Monday, July 18, 2005

Office Space

I've been hearing horror stories about other people's experiences about how the office environment is cut-throat, tiring, the unpleasable boss, the corrupt coworkers, etc... But is it really that bad? After all, you're spending more time with these people, doing whatever you're doing that anybody else, whether it be your family, friends, roommates, pets, or imaginary friends. I've been bracing myself for when i'll be hit with the reality of all this work and disappointment with the working environment..,

But in some ways, I've been truely blessed in where I work. There's all these little things that make up for all the hard work we do here, meeting deadlines and excecuting impossible work plans. For instance, my group always eats lunch together. Like clockwork, around 12:15-30, we all file into the cafeteria, get our food, sit down and eat. We tend not to let other people from different groups eat with us. We analog guys are a bit exclusive. But there's only 12 of us. I think we're entitled to a little exclusiveness.

But then there are just things that really remind me how great it is to be working here. This past friday, my group took off around 1pm to go watch Batman Begins. Not only did we get to watch a movie, but the boss paid for it, and it was during office hours. We basically got a half day out of it. It's kind of lame how such a small thing like a movie can improve morale, but it really does go a long long way. I'm quite impressed on how well they (the company) takes care of it's employee's. Coming up in september, my group is going on vacation again. We're currently discussing where to go for this years trip, but Vegas is currently at the top of the list. I'm really excited about that and the prospect of getting some R&R in sin city.

Another highlight from this weekend was seeing an oddity of the natural world.


This is some weird and rare flower that only blooms every 7-10 years. What's even more bizarre is that it produces an odor that smells like rotting flesh, or an overturned port-a-pottie. Either way, it's pretty foul. Most of time, you'll probably want to be wearing one of these...


When I went to go visit this thing, the smell had already passed since the thing only stinks for a few hrs, and then it shrivels up and dies and goes dormant for another 7-10 years. Truely a weird and interesting thing. Nobody I asked wanted to go see this thing. But then they all see the pics and go 'wow'. I personally was disappointed that it didn't smell. I was hoping to getting a whiff of this thing and say that I had the opportunity to experience something extraordinary, but nope. Just a plain ol' funny looking thing in a humid room. But that's okay.

The Kongs came back from their vacation in Hawaii. The kids are super super dark. They're darker than most of us. It's pretty embarassing. It's nice to have the kids back again. After all, how can you not miss this face?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home