Monday, August 01, 2005

Enemy Territory

Due to the recent spew of complaints, I have decided to proof and edit my entries. (end edited entry)

So now onto more important matters of business.

This weekend was a flurry of activity. I participated in the annual Korea Times softball tourney on saturday. Besides church, this was probably one of the biggest gathering of Koreans i have seen in the bay area. It was interesting partly due to the fact that I ran into a few familiar faces, and they were probably as surprised as I was since i was playing with a church they probably didn't expect to see me with.
But back to softball. We ended up playing 1 and half games. Before i get into elaborating upon the half bit, let me state first and foremost how important it is to have a decent pitcher in slow pitch softball. We won our first game cuz the other team went through 3 pitchers just in the first inning. Talk about demoralizing. They basically walked our entire lineup and helped us score about half our runs. By the end of the second inning, someone stated that because of the first inning, we basically won the game. Which we did. I'm going out on a limb here, but I'd say we were pretty confident at that point since we had an uber-veteran pitching for us.

But alas, woe is us. We got a taste of our own medicine for our second game. We had our own pitching problems and ended up playing half a game. Yup. that's right. Half a game. We had the mercy rule invoked on us. The other team put up something like 15 runs the first inning. By the end of the game, the ump simply said if we didn't score about 5 runs, he would end the game. Pretty sad. But all in all, it was a fun time to play some softball with the guys and enjoy the nice weather. The fact that the fields were in great shape and that the KM provided us with fantastic food didn't hurt either.

But the highlight of the weekend was spending some quality time doing an activity I have about zero competence in. Nil. Nada. Nien. After softball, I headed out to emerybay to hang out and just chill with some peepz. After a botched attempt at some cheap food (damn you spengers for getting rid of the happy hr burgers!!!!), we ended up grabbing some decent japanese food and just chillin at someone's place afterwards. But what happened next is something I'd like not to have repeated anytime soon. Apparently, the group i was hanging out with was fairly talented or at least mildly interested in art or some form or artistic expression. They were just putting down splotches of color, drawing landscapes or something freeform, and the host was painting a cherry from a cover of a magazine. I on the other hand, had difficulty comprending the nature of this 'task'. Paint? Brush? Paper? You want me to put paint on the brush, and put the brush with paint on the paper and move it around? Whoaaa.... this is too complicated. If I ever had a fish out of water experience, this was about as dry as it would ever be. I think i sat around for a good 5 minutes with absolutely NO idea of what I was doing. It goes without saying, it was pretty easy to tell who out of the four of us had the underdeveloped creative side of the brain. After about 45 minutes, the other participants had produced:


and





Obviously there is some definite talent in the room. But this expression just about sums up the collective thoughts of everyone involved (including yours truly) when looking at what i came up with




After about 45 minutes of sitting that piece of paper, this was all i could come up with




I think I need to have my head examined. That's public education for you. 2 squares. 2 triangles. A bunch of x's and a botched attempt at..... I'm not even sure what i was trying to do. Next time, i'm just going to put a black dot in the middle of the page and call it art. After all, isn't that what people pay mega bucks for these days? I'm a freaking genius!!

Big ups to nancy for letting us destroy her apartment. Hey B&T, were you not entertained?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home