Sunday, November 07, 2004

NYC Marathon

This weekend was the NYC marathon. If you ask me, that's 26 miles of sheer self-mutilation. But this is coming from a guy who can't run more than 3-4 miles. That being said, my roommate ran the marathon. It's been quite interesting watching him train and what not for the past 2-3 months. So many tune-up races, 12 miles, 18 miles, 20 miles.... he should have gotten frequent running mileage points from his cc company. He'd be raking in the rewards by now.

In any case, he set up a nice brunch for a handful of us so we could cheer him on and take some pictures as he ran by. But another perk of the whole thing was that I got to see all top-tier runners go by. These are the people who run for a living professionally (why? that's beyond me), and go to the olympics and run that as well. These people run so incredibly fast, it's unbelievable. It's hard to appreciate how fast their running because no one really runs like that... ever. When's the last time you've seen someone run at full speed, for miles on end, that didn't ensue in the ghetto with a cop car? The top-tier mens had a chase truck full of reporters and tv cameras for the folks watching from home. It's only when you see this huge sanitation truck barreling down the road do you really get a feel for the speed. I mean, it's not everyday you see people running that fast, but cars? That's a fact of life. If you calculate it out, the guys are running under a 5 minute mile. For 26 miles. I've tried running the pace on a treadmill before. It's nothing short of... envigorating. After about 10-15 seconds, I'm about ready to roll off the machine into the back wall. It's truly insane.

But all I could think watching the runners was...
1. I'm tired just from watching these guys run
2. I'm dizzy watching hundreds and thousands of people run by
3. RUN FORREST RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home